Payments to the City of Mebane:

Expand/Collapse All

Is there a drop box for after hour payments?

  • Yes, the secure drop box is located on the east side of the Municipal Building.

May I pay a water or tax bill over the phone with a credit/debit card?

  • No, we do not accept payments over the telephone. Please visit the city’s website for a listing of payment options for Utility Bills. We accept payment by cash, check, ACH or credit card payments in person at City Hall or through our online portal.

Where is Mebane City Hall located and what are the hours of operation?

  • Mebane City Hall is located at 106 E. Washington Street in Downtown Mebane (the Municipal Building faces the railroad tracks.) Hours of operation are 8:00am and 5:00pm, Monday-Friday.

Where do I pay for recreation fees?

  • Visit our Recreation web page for new online payment options!  Otherwise, recreation fees can still be paid at the Municipal Building located at 106 East Washington Street. 


Expand/Collapse All

Are City and County taxes billed separately?

  • Taxes were billed separately through the 2015 billing cycle. Since 2016, the County includes Mebane taxes on the same bill as the county tax.

Does the City of Mebane give a discount for early tax payments?

  • Yes, there is a .5% discount if taxes are paid by August 31st.

When are tax bills issued?

  • Tax bills are usually sent out in mid-July or early August.



Expand/Collapse All

Do I pay my vehicle tax to the City of Mebane?

  • Only unlicensed vehicles (those that are junked or antique, eg.) are taxed as personal property and billed on behalf of the City. With the NC Tax and Tag Together program, most vehicle taxes are billed by the NC DMV along with the annual vehicle registration fees. The NC Department of Revenue distributes the taxes to the appropriate counties and cities. These bills are issued around the anniversary date of your vehicle registration each year.

Where do I go to get tags for my car?

  • The NC Motor Vehicle License Plate Agency is located at:
    2668 Ramada Road
    Burlington, NC 27215
    Phone: 336-228-7152.

Where do I go to establish or renew a driver’s license?

Please click here for information from the Division of Motor Vehicles for the State of North Carolina’s Department of Transportation. There are two DMV offices nearby:

  • 1201 US Highway 70 West Hillsborough, NC 27278 Phone: (919) 732-2427
  • 111 East Crescent Square Drive Graham, NC 27253 Phone: 336-570-6811