Permits and Licensing


Expand/Collapse All

Do I need a license or permit for a home based business?

  • Beginning July 1, 2015, S.L. 2014-3/House Bill 1050 eliminated local government authority to levy the privilege license tax with the exception of ABC and peddler licenses. Although a privilege license is no longer necessary for most businesses, the City’s Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) requires a Business Occupancy Certificate before a business can occupy a commercial space and home-based businesses may be subject to county Health Department or other review and certification. Please visit our Planning and Inspections Department at 102 S. Fifth St., or call 919-563-9990, and they will guide you through the process.

Do I need a business license to conduct business inside the City of Mebane?

  • For most businesses, the city no longer issues business licenses. If your business is located in the city limits, and you sell beer, wine or mixed drinks, you will need an ABC license. Please call City Hall at (919) 563-5901 if you have questions regarding your specific business.